Uninsured and Underinsured Motorists in Lawton

We stand up for victims of irresponsible drivers

Car accidents can be devastating. That’s why drivers need insurance: to cover medical bills, lost income, and other losses. But what if the reckless driver who hit you doesn’t have insurance?

In Oklahoma, this is unfortunately often the case. Our state has one of the highest percentage of drivers operating motor vehicles without insurance. Plus, if someone only has the state minimum coverage, that may not be enough to pay for a serious accident.

Hoover Rogers Law, LLP knows how to get money for your injuries in all types of situations. Whether it’s a hit and run driver or someone operating a vehicle with little to no insurance, our attorneys can seek compensation through UIM. If you were injured by an uninsured or underinsured driver, contact us for a free case evaluation.

What is uninsured motorist insurance?

UM is short for uninsured motorist insurance. Some states require drivers to purchase this type of coverage, but in Oklahoma, it’s optional – but highly encouraged. UM coverage stands in for the other driver’s insurance if you’re hit by a car that does not have liability coverage.

In Oklahoma, UM insurance also covers underinsured drivers: those with some coverage, but not enough to pay for the full cost. Oklahoma drivers must purchase a minimum of $25,000 bodily injury insurance, $50,000 per incident, and $25,000 property damage insurance. The state understands the minimum is not enough to replace a vehicle or cover medical expenses that result from serious accident injuries. UM covers any costs beyond the other driver’s policy limit, up to your own policy limit.

Again, Oklahoma auto insurance policies do not usually come standard with UIM, but we highly encourage adding it to your policy.

Tap UM for hit-and-run accidents

UIM comes in handy when the person who hits you doesn’t have appropriate insurance, but it can also be used in hit and run incidents.

A hit and run is any type of accident where one or more involved driver leaves the scene of an accident before the police arrive. It is illegal to do this. The only exception is leaving to get emergency medical care.

If the hit and run driver is found, then you can pursue a claim the same as you would with any other accident. If they aren’t found, though, the unidentified driver can be considered an uninsured motorist and your policy can pay your medical expenses.

Or at least, that’s how it should go. Accident victims seeking to use their UM often must fight their insurance provider to get the money they deserve.

Lawton car accident lawyers on your side every step of the way

Hoover Rogers Law, LLP takes your recovery seriously. We understand how critical it is for you to get the maximum compensation for your injuries.

Our attorneys dig deep and find evidence to support your claim. We will build a strong case for the compensation you deserve, and if the insurance company won’t pay up, we’re prepared to take them to court.

We work on contingency, which means we only get paid if and when we win. You don’t owe us a penny out of pocket. Our single goal is to get you the compensation you deserve.

If you were injured in an accident, contact Hoover Rogers Law, LLP to schedule a free case evaluation to learn more about your legal options and get an estimate of your claim’s value.  There’s no cost or obligation, just answers from an experienced Lawton car accident attorney.

Consultation* Click Here