Car accidents can happen anywhere, but some locations see more accidents than others. For example, in Wichita Falls, the city’s police department recently identified local intersections that are crash hotspots.
Located on Southwest Parkway and Kell Boulevard, Wichita Falls Police (WFPD) say seven intersections are known for serious wrecks. These accidents are usually caused by negligent drivers who fail to yield to traffic lights, speed, drive distracted, or drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol (DUI).
Intersection accidents are becoming more common as red-light running crashes and speeding accidents rise all over Texas and the U.S. If you were injured in an intersection accident caused by a negligent driver, it is important to consult a car accident lawyer immediately to ensure you have an understanding of your legal rights and options.
Wichita Falls Police Department identifies crash hotspots.
Intersection accidents in Wichita Falls often lead to severe injuries. Sometimes, the results are deadly.
Wichita Falls intersections that have been identified as crash hotspots by the WFPD include:
Southwest Parkway at Professional Drive
Southwest Parkway at Taft Street
Southwest Parkway at Kemp Boulevard
Southwest Parkway at Fairway Boulevard
Kell West Boulevard at Holliday Street
Kell East Boulevard at Holliday Street
Kell West Boulevard at Kemp Boulevard
Safe driving tips
To avoid car accidents at these intersections, police advise drivers to pay extra attention and drive defensively.
Drivers should be particularly cautious anywhere on Kemp Boulevard from Southwest Parkway to US-82 (Kell), police say. Also, look out for wrecks on Lawrence Road between Call Field and Kell West. Police say the most common cause of crashes in this area are attempted left turns and distracted driving.
“Our citizens are safe to drive anywhere in our city, but we encourage them to maintain their attention on the task at hand while driving,” WFPD Sgt. Charlie Eipper said to the local news.
Driving defensively means that:
- You are on high alert and aware of your surroundings.
- You are checking your mirrors, blind spots, and the road ahead to see what other drivers are doing.
- You are scanning for pedestrians, bicycles, and children that may be around you.
- You do not rely on other drivers to follow the rules of the road.
- You never trust a blinker or directional light - these indicators may have been left on by accident, or a driver may choose to turn or not turn despite what they are signaling.
- If you are the first vehicle to be in line after a light turns green, wait a few moments and look in all directions before entering an intersection to avoid red-light runners. Give yourself room and time to maneuver if a driver does something unexpected.
Talk to a Wichita Falls car accident attorney.
The intersections pointed out by Wichita Falls police are not the only local high-crash areas. Highways like I-44, US-287, TX-325, and TX-79 also see a lot of serious and fatal car accidents.
Still, many of the crashes at these locations have something in common: they are often due to negligence. That's why holding reckless drivers accountable through the civil justice system is so important. It sends a strong message that negligent drivers must answer for the pain and damage they cause.
If you or someone you love was hurt in an accident in the Wichita Falls or Lawton area, contact us today for a free injury case consultation. We can help you understand how the law applies to your specific situation and give you an idea of how much your claim is worth.